Friday, May 15, 2009

Mugging for customers


by Phil Houseal as published in the Kerrville TX Community Journal May 20, 2009

I picked up my Club Ed notepad and grabbed a KVHC pen from the Kee Motors mug I use as a pen holder. I wrote out my grocery list and stuck it to the refrigerator with the A-1 Transmissions magnet.

I was late for an appointment, so I grabbed the A&M key ring, my UT travel mug, and my UNT gimme cap and dashed for the car.

Welcome to the world of advertising specialties.

Putting ads on common items began back in1845, when an enterprising insurance agent printed his business message on calendars he gave as gifts. Over 150 years later, we still are suckers for freebies.

Just gazing at my desk, I see a Zurich letter opener, Office Max jump drive, and several calendars from printers, insurance companies, and LP gas suppliers. I even use a Fredericksburg Community Education screen cleaner to wipe off my computer monitor!

Could we make it through a day without using these handy gadgets? More important, why would we want to?

I asked Betty Braswell, owner of ADCO Advertising for 27 years.

"Everybody uses them," Braswell said. "People do like to get free things. We hope the items we sell will stay with the customers as advertisements for business."

Braswell noted that pens are perennially popular, along with caps, T-shirts and trophies. Drink mugs for cars are big, and "koozies" to keep bottles and cans cool still stand out. Braswell noted that couples are now giving away custom koozies as wedding favors.

The tchotchke doesn't even have to be useful or functional to be effective. One of my favorite pickups was an inch-long triangular plastic gadget that flashed intermittent red LEDs when you pushed on it. I still have no idea of its purpose. For all I know it's a universal homing device and an alien race will soon land on my lawn.

At Club Ed, we are not immune from using ad specialties to keep our name in front of customers. Our little logo (the Club Ed guy getting conked on the head by a coconut) graces notepads, calendars, T-shirts, banners, and the crowd favorite - pink flamingo-shaped writing pens.

It is silly to think that getting a free wooden yardstick will sway our decision on which real estate agent to use, but it happens. One salesman swore he closed million-dollar deals by giving the buyer a pair of cowboy boots. I am among those who feel a sense of elation all out of proportion to getting a free screen cleaner.

A question for the ages, I decide, as I sip coffee from my Club Ed mug.

XXX

Club Ed is the Community Education program of the Kerrville Independent School District. Each year, we offer more than 400 classes with 3000 enrollments. The fall session begins in September. To sign up, ask a question, suggest a class, or apply to teach, call 830-895-4386, or visit www.clubed.net.

No comments: