Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The girl wants to dance

by Phil Houseal as published in the Kerrville TX Community Journal
Dec 17, 2008

"Phil, I want to learn how to dance."

A lovely lady named "Carolyn" started our phone conversation with that simple statement. She had called the right place. I had heard the same lament from quite a few of our hill country neighbors before.

That is because Club Ed has helped literally hundreds of couples learn to two-step, rumba and waltz across Texas. In fact dance classes are the most attended and first-filled in every community education program in the world.

"So you want to learn how to dance," I replied. "May I ask why?" I am always curious what motivates folks to finally step up and take a class.

Carolyn, who is now a grandmother, had several answers. She wanted to surprise her family. It was good exercise. But her most compelling reason was this: "It is just something I want to do."

I found it interesting that Carolyn had never learned to dance growing up in west Texas, home of Ernest Tubb, Buddy Holly, and Waylon Jennings. She explained how a strict upbringing precluded access to some of the baser pleasures of life on the plains.

"I never smoked; I never drank," she said. "And I know it is kind of late in life to learn to dance, but I am going to."

One advantage Carolyn carries in her tool box is her love for music, especially old country music. She mentioned Eddie Arnold and Marty Robbins. Perfect for the country two-step.

Carolyn has one handicap though: "I am kind of bashful about getting up in front of people," she said. "So anything I do, I want to do it right."

This spring she can choose from a smorgasbord of dance styles. Club Ed is offering rumba, tango, ballroom, waltz, cha cha, and belly dance. For someone with Carolyn's love for country music, she might start with country and western.

Whichever dance she chooses, here's hoping she gets off on the right foot. With luck, she will never have to relive a wistful memory that she shared before hanging up.

She remembered a night when a handsome gentleman asked her to dance. Carolyn panicked, because she didn't know the steps. She had to walk away, although she did so regretfully.

"I didn't waltz, because I didn't know how," she recalled. "I suppose he would have made me look good if I just hung on and picked up my feet. But I want to try this the right way, so I'm just going to do it!"

I know we'll see her in class.

XXX

Our Spring 2009 catalog is now online! Visit www.clubed.net to sign up, or call 830-895-4386. Catalogs will be mailed by January 1.

Club Ed is the Community Education program of the Kerrville Independent School District. Each year, we offer more than 400 local classes, along with online courses, business and individual training, and after-school and summer camps. Comment online at clubedcomments.blogspot.com.

No comments: