Friday, December 12, 2008

One Reluctant Learner

by Phil Houseal as published in the Kerrville TX Community Journal
Dec 10, 2008

You would think a lifelong teacher would understand the importance of lifelong learning.

Yet when "Patty" - a teacher for 30 years - retired to the hill country, she pretty much retired from life.

"I became a recluse," she said. "After spending so many hours a day teaching, to go from that to doing nothing was not stimulating."

Patty is naturally shy, and has a high anxiety level, so it took a neighbor to convince her to try a Club Ed writing course.

"Because I am a teacher with a masters degree, and had spent a lot of years learning, this seemed natural to be able to come back. I told my neighbor on that first day in class that I did not want to be forced to do something. I wanted to relax, and be stimulated on my own without any competitive sensation."

So Patty walked into the Auld Center and carefully took her seat. What happened next transformed her.

"One of my first assignments was to write about my husband and me. The teacher asked if I could share it with 'Bill.'" Patty was not sure how he would feel about it, but reluctantly allowed him to read it. "When he finished, he told me it was very good. That gave me confidence."

Patty's next assignment was about another experience. "The teacher told me if I wrote it down, I would get rid of holding it inside." She wrote it. When she read it, she cried. "My instructor was right," Patty said. "Something hit my inner core. After that, I said OK, it's over. I don't have to carry that around anymore."

Patty's personal experience in her first class gave her the confidence to explore more. Her husband supports her endeavors.

"When we got back to town this fall, we got this Club Ed catalog in the mail," Patty said. "My husband gave it to me and said, see what you can find, because last year you were a totally different person when taking that course."

So Patty has taken an art class, a singing class, and was back last session to sign up for her first dance class.

She still feels anxiety; she still has to make an effort to stop "putzing around the house."

"I think the way I got back into it is to find somebody who can go with you, then you are more apt to do it," she said. "I'm really stepping out on my own. It's exciting.

For Patty, the perfect metaphor for lifelong learning lies in the singing class she took.

"I admired people who were in the choir, but I was content to sing at my seat," she said. "When I sing there, I feel good about it. But, I feel I would love to be heard."

Club Ed lets Patty sing.

XXX

The Spring 2009 catalogs will be mailed the week after Christmas. Classes will be posted online at www.clubed.net beginning Dec 15. Or call 830-895-4386.

Club Ed is the Community Education program of the Kerrville Independent School District. Each year, we offer more than 300 classes with 3000 enrollments, along with online courses, business and individual training, and after-school and summer camps. Comment online at clubedcomments.blogspot.com.

No comments: