Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Elena


by Phil Houseal, as published in the Community Journal (Kerrville TX) and Hill Country Weekly (Boerne TX) Dec 16, 2009

When I walked into the HEB Floral Shop to buy flowers for my wife for her birthday, I never expected to find an epiphany.

I was window shopping in the flower cooler, bewildered by the array of arrangements, when a young smiling clerk approached and asked what I needed.

She had a slight accent that was unusual for central Texas. When I explained the occasion of my wife’s birthday, she smiled bigger and said, “Then you don’t want these, you want these!”

She placed her hand on my arm, and gently but firmly “guided” me to the next cooler, holding the more elaborate vases. I stopped looking at flowers and instead turned my attention to this obviously confident salesperson.

I had to ask: “I notice by your accent you are not from around here.”

“No,” she admitted. “I am from Russia, and was adopted by a local family.”

A light snapped on. “Do you live in Stonewall?” I asked cautiously.

Now it was her turn to be surprised. She nodded yes.

“And you came here about 10 years ago?” Again she nodded. “I know you,” I said.

It was around 2001 that Galina Hopkins taught a Russian language class for Club Ed. I was surprised at the interest in learning the language here in the hills of Texas, so far from the steppes of Russia.

I particularly remember one lady from Stonewall who signed up. She and her husband were in the process of adopting a child from Russia, and were anxious to learn the language. There was no better place than in Galina’s class. The Ukraine native not only taught conjugation and tense, she taught her native culture. During class, that room filled with music, dance, and the smells of food from Russia. We were regularly called in to sample borscht, sweets, and songs.

That family completed the lessons and the adoption. I remember the day they brought in their beautiful daughter, who was around age 11. Though she could not yet speak English, she communicated her joy and curiosity with bright eyes and beaming smiles.

It was those smiles that I recognized 10 years later in HEB. Elena is now a young woman who had obviously learned not only the language, but had turned the tables and used her marketing skills on me.

Of course I chose the better flower arrangement. As Elena pulled the item from the cooler, her selling was not finished. “Naturally, you want a balloon to go with this.” It was not a question. It was a statement. “You will find the birthday balloons in this section,” she said, gesturing to a rack beside her. By the time we finished the transaction, she had also sold me a card and gift wrapping.

I never so enjoyed being “sold.”

I also enjoyed seeing yet another way that lifelong learning weaves its way through our lives. One never knows how a bit of knowledge picked up can have repercussions decades later. Club Ed literally touches and changes lives, in ways we can never know.

But on this day in the floral department of HEB, I was glad to see another unexpected wave started from a ripple in Club Ed.

XXX

The new spring Club Ed classes are now online at www.clubed.net! Catalog mailed after Christmas. For information or to sign up, click www.clubed.net, or call 830-895-4386.

Club Ed is the Community Education program of the Kerrville Independent School District. Each year, we offer more than 400 classes throughout the Texas Hill Country, along with online courses, business and individual training, and after-school and summer camps. Comment online at clubedcomments.blogspot.com, or follow us on Twitter @clubedtx.

1 comment:

N.E. Reiter said...

From Elena's father: Very nice article. Thanks for recognizing our wonderful daughter. She really
is pretty amazing, considering the journey that she has been through. She's
taught me more about courage and independence that just about anyone.
Thanks,

Lonnie