Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sayings I never understood


by Phil Houseal as published in the Kerrville TX Community Journal & the Boerne TX Hill Country Weekly, Dec 30, 2009

We grew up hearing “sayings” gleaned from literature and history that are meant to impart great truths in few words. Phrases like “Man does not live by bread alone” and “I am my brother’s keeper.”

When you reexamine the source, you find many have morphed into meaning the opposite of the way they are used. Herewith are some examples:

You can’t have your cake and eat it, too
I never understood this one - it makes no sense. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it. In fact, that the only way to eat your cake is to “have” it first!

It makes sense only when it is stated accurately. The original phrasing is “You can’t EAT your cake and have it too.” Suddenly it makes sense. After you eat anything, you no longer have it to eat.

Man does not live on bread alone
I have heard this line quoted by sybarites to justify living the high life; that is, one need not subsist on mere bread and water. The Bible phrase actually means just the opposite - man is not meant to subsist entirely on material things of this world, but to seek spiritual nourishment, the opposite of living it up.

I am my brother’s keeper
Used by politicians to make us pay more taxes for welfare programs. The Biblical phrase has Jesus asking “Am I my brother’s keeper?” Again, this imparts the exact opposite meaning used today - I cannot control how my brother uses his time and gifts.

Money is the root of all evil
No no no, that is not what this other Bible phrase said. It is the love of money that is the root of evil. Big difference.

Steal from the rich; give to the poor (the Robin Hood argument)
The parable of Robin Hood actually makes the exact opposite argument than the one proposed by those who evoke it. It is used by usually by those who see Robin as a hero who takes money from the wealthy merchants and distributes to the poor common folk - redistributing wealth.
In reality, Robin is taking back the taxes and tariffs unfairly imposed upon the working man by the government. Who chases Robin? The Sheriff, on behalf of the government. So Robin Hood should be the hero of those who opposes oppressive taxes and government interference.

I laughed all the way to the bank.
Actually, Liberace, the flamboyant pianist, when asked how he felt after bad reviews by critics, said, “I cried all the way to the bank.”

My favorite might ring a bell for member s of the older generation. My mother often used the phrase, “Didn’t know s*** from Shinola,” and occasionally when talking about me as I recall. It was an alliterative and colorful phrase, but I never really got the reference. Only when I was an adult did I discovered that Shinola was a brand of boot polish, one whose consistency and color apparently bore a resemblance to the another substance beginning with the letter “s.” Suddenly all became clear.

Proving an Amish proverb that - more than ever - rings true, “We grow too soon old, and too late smart.”

XXX

Club Ed is the community education program of the Kerrville Independent School District. Every session, Club Ed offers hundreds of classes for everyone in the Texas Hill Country. The Spring catalog is now in the mail. More information online at www.clubed.net.

No comments: